Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Everything is Illuminated

Hi all! No, I haven't died or forgotten that I started a blog site. I've just been really busy with school life these past weeks. I've had play practice almost every night til like 9. (We're doing Fiddler on the Roof.) I've had soccer practice as well, and on top of all that the finishing touches to put on my senior thesis at Provy High. It wound up being about 16 pages. Like I promised before, I hope to have it up here soon. All of you C.S. Lewis fans should get a kick out of it.
Anyway, enough excuses....Recently, I purchased a book titled Everything is Illuminated. I just got it in the mail yesterday, and began reading it last night. It is by a young author by the name of Jonathan Safran Foer. I heard about him through the New York Times' supplement magazine. In short he is an artist through and through. He paints pictures with words. After reading a bit of the book, I can only describe him as a poetic novelist. I highly reccomend him as a breath of fresh air to the other works of fiction our culture has sadly become full of. No truth, no beauty, no goodness. Warning! It's not a Christian work! So read discerningly. He's very good, but I doubt you'll see him in church next Sunday. (Well, the fact that he's Jewish doesn't help that.) It's sad that it's gotten to the point where, if Christian readers who want a non-cliche book have to look to the secular genre to find it....So pick up the book. But, have a pencil ready. You'll be filling up the margins with themes that you find nearly every other paragraph. So far...I'M LOVING ME SOME EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED.
Oh yeah, picked up a new cd yesterday. It's by the band Bright Eyes and is called I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. I listened to it nearly four times yesterday. One word. BEAUTIFUL. One more word. RAW. Pick it up. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
Til Tomorrow,
Good Providence

No comments: