Saturday, February 26, 2005

The Ground Is Your Enemy

So it's sad...
This doesn't suit you now.
And me,
Fresh out of rope.
Please ignore the lisp.
I never meant to sound like this.
So take me and break me and make me strong like You.
I'll be forever grateful to this and you.
It's only You.
Beautiful.
I don't want anybody else.
If I could choose...
It's only You.
Fix me to a chain around your neck.
Wear me like a nickel.
Even new wine served in old skins cheapens the taste.
I shot the pilot.
I'm begging You to fly this for me.

I'm here for you to used...Broken
Bruised.
Do you understand?
--Jesse Lacey of Brand New- The No Seatbelt Song, from the realease Your Favorite Weapon

This band is probably my favorite group of musicians because of the lead singer's critical attention to the context of his lyrics. This song differs from a very angry and confused tone on the CD and is really a great look into their next CD, DEJA INTENDU, a truly repentant work. Pay attention to the "pilot" line. Possibly one of the best representations I've heard of willingness to lose control over life. Though it looks as if the plane is flying, it's really only falling with style. We are driving ourselves into the ground from steep altitudes everyday. The only way to regain control is to lose it. Surrender everything to God. We then not only become passengers of the plane, but the plane's instruments to bring the New Pilot many commendations for His unquestionable skill at guding the plane. He really doesn't need the instruments but chooses to use them anyway.

We went 7-9 out of the 16 matches we played in Scholar Bowl today. It was fun, but took a really long time. Good to be home and writing. My bed calls me. My joints are listening.
'
Til tomorrow, Good Providence.



No comments: