Thursday, February 24, 2005

Rookie Goalies Definitely Deserve a Break

I played my first game as starting goalie tonight. I've played soccer before, but never at this position in a game. We lost 4-0 and as the goalie it's hard not to feel a little more than responsible. But to be fair to myself in three of the goals there was absolutely nothing I could have done. The ball came right down the middle of the field and beat every defender we had on two leaving me a sitting duck and the third is the kind of header that you see in magazines. It was off a corner kick and the kid was in the perfect spot and placed the ball right in the upper left hand corner of the goal. It was a thing of beauty. The other was my fault. It was a corner and I left the goal too soon and was caught too far out. Anyway we are only a 1A school and they're a 6A school. But, most of the teams we play will have the size advantage over us. We play an in town school Monday that is probably 10 times better than the one that beat us tonight. If that middle doesn't tighten up Monday, I don't know if I'll be able to hold my head up on Tuesday. I can only get better though. Tomorrow, I have a Scholar Bowl competition that I have to be at school for at 5:45 to leave at 6. The competiton starts at 8 and I'll proabably be gone all day. In case you didn't know, Scholar Bowl is basically High School Jeopardy. It's fun and funny becuase some teams really take it seriously. We don't though. We just like missing school to laugh at nerdy people. I'll report back how we did tomorrow.
I'm reading Macbeth in my British Lit class at school. This is probably my third time reading it. Not my favorite of Shakespeare's works in the least, but a delight to read. As I read it more and more, the more I like Macbeth. He's definately a filthy human being, but who isn't? Billy's role reversal between Macbeth and the misses is seriously spectacular. Though I like Macbeth I am very drawn to Lady Macbeth. Her character is fascinating. The "unsex me" scene in Act II (I believe) is magnificently done. Lady Macbeth is wishing for a man-like strength to carry out murder. The irony is, is that she needn't look any farther than her already man-like authoritative personality. She's not one to be messed with.
Tomorrow comes in about 5 hours for me.
Til then, Good Providence.

No comments: