Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ticker Tape Masquerade

Tonight.
As the sky grew darker...
I followed suit.
(and black tie)

Mission before me...
I caught my innocence not looking
and shoved a knife through it's back.

The carnage that ensued
made my stomach turn.
I fought throwing up
(i'm just a kid)
and it probably would have won.
It's just...

I'm used to choking down that flavor.
(This can't be healthy.)

My fingernails,
crusted with blood
underneath.
Where soap and water can't reach.
So metal must go
to scrape,
to tear away,
so the memory of possessed hands
won't stay.

(I will always fail.)
(Fail to remember You.)
(Will You always...)

So this is forgive and forget.

Wearing the uniform of a soldier,
I recite the rules of engagement
as if they were written on my victims'
hearts.

While I dream up bullets
flying past me engraved with
civilian names.

While it's their innocence that'll
pierce my skin
as they die
in their rubbled homes.

...

Adorned with a Purple Heart.
(took some for the team)
Marching in parades.
(impressive liar)
Hiding behind a flag that I salute with crossed fingers.
(One Nation under...)

A flag that will embrace my coffin...
(Swing lower sweet chariot)




Will we die with a smile?
Will we go in our sleep?
Dreaming dreams of the faces we've seen...

'O the faces we've seen...

At peace.
Deliberate.
Not a deterrence in sight.
Breathing their last breath
while knowing,

It's their first.

and knowing their names will be forgotten.

Murder on the front page:

"Hero Returns from War"

So with knees red with pressure
from wooden foundations
and a shirt stained with blood
and now tears...

As time races by us
while regret chokes our prayers...

Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?
Can we die with a smile?

1 comment:

Brianna said...

I think you posted it at the right time, vefry nicely done.