Friday, May 20, 2005

Endings Don't Have to be Sad...And This is No Exception

Hey everyone.

T-Minus 16 hours 44 minutes:


Well, the moment is upon me. I'm 18 years old. It's 1:49 in the morning on my graduation day and I'm sitting here listening to The All American Rejects....

But there's a certain song's lyrics that are repeating over and over in my mind....

"The Swiss Army Romance"
Sleep with all the lights on.
You're not so happy.
You're not secure.
You're dying to look cute in your blue jeans,but you're plastic just like everyone.

You're just like everyone.

And that face you paint is pressed impressing most of us as permanent
and I'd like to see you undone.
College night will draw the crowds.
Dorms unload & your heading out.
Here is your moment to shine.
Making up a history.It's nothing from the life you lead
but man, will they buy all your lines.

Sleep with all the sheets off
bearing your mattress
bearing your soul.
And you're dying to look smooth with your tattoos
but you're searching just like everyone

could be anyone.

And the friends that you have are the best
impressing most of us as permanent
and I'd like to see you undone.

Youth's the most unfaithful mistress.
Still we forge ahead to miss her.
Rushing our moment to shine.

Making up a history,
It's nothing from the life you lead
but man will they buy all your lines.

We're not twenty-one,
but the sooner we are,
the sooner the fun will begin,
so get out your fake eyelashes,
and fake i.d's,
and real disasters ensue,
it's cool to take these chances.
It's cool to fake romances

and grow up fast.

That song is definately like one of my fave dashboard tracks.

As my hour of instant maturity comes... I am feeling a mixture of emotions.

Scared.

Elated.

Sad.

Anxious.

Excited.

Happy.

The people with whom I have shared a classroom for three long years of my life have not only shared the space between the walls of Providence Christian School with me. It is with these people that I have shared the hardest part of the process of growing up. I've cried with these people. I've laughed with these people harder than any other people on this planet. I've run from the police with some. I've rocked out with a few. I've danced with even fewer. I've stared down both the past and future with one....

But I've grown up with them all.

Three years ago God tore down every piece of plaster in the weak walls that I had built up around myself and brought me to PCS. And brought me so many new brothers and sisters (some in my class and many out of my class) that I cannot possibly name them all and refuse to be specific to honor them all.

In these past 3 years, I have grown at times that i felt my skin would burst if this frail frame of my soul were to expand any more. That's when I was broken in half. Given a new skin, and new eyes, and a clearer thought process. (Mr. Smith....I miss you) In this time I have been given much knowledge, much love, and tons of smiles. Despite the troubles I have had at PCS, I love it with all of my heart. It has been my security for a while. And now I bid her adieu.

Thanks to all those who have put a smile upon my face, knowledege in my mind, comfort to soul, guidance in the dark, and yes, even pain in my heart that I don't know can be surmounted by any amount of bloodloss....I have walked through the ash and remains and am standing with a sooty face and clear eyes, and even cleaner hopes.

To everyone reading this that is staying at Provy, I have one word of advice:

Whatever may befall you, (even if it is your heart at your feet) smile, and let everyone see the most gracious display of movement they have ever laid their eyes on.

Rock, dance, move, love, laugh,....forgive on.

and on

and on

and on....


To everyone reading this:

Pursue one thing forever. Pursue the answer to the question "Why?". Never halt your imagination and the insane directions it pulls you. You might like where you end up.

In fact: I know you will.


I'm moving closer and closer to that uncertainty everyone calls grown up. I think I'll get used to the journey.


My past shows me at least a million reasons to stop. My future shows me even more to refer to the past. But right now feels so right. Move on, young man, move on.


Thank God for Second Chances

They seem to be life consuming.


Good Providence

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne,
thanks for writing all that! i had pretty much given up on somethings and now i was to keep going. i will miss you so much next year...thanks so much for all your words of encouragment and your unbleiveable example....you are a great leader and have had an awesome impact on my life. thank you so much. i love you so much and so does the rest of the fiddler fam. lol...i hope you liked your car decorations....it was my best way to say goodbye.
but here it is prollie not the last time but....goodbye.love ya.
Luv

Anonymous said...

Wayne, You are awesome. I am glad I got to know through Drama. Keep us posted on that in the future if you are going to do the whole drama thing. You should you are great. I will see you tonight at Catherine's.

matthew said...

Wow. That should have been the speech at graduation. sweet inspiring words.