Saturday, April 02, 2005

"A Fiddler on the Roof...Sounds CRAZY no?"

Hey everyone! If you're up on your Jewish musical trivia you'll know where the quote I used for the title came from. Duh! Fiddler on the Roof. Kind of a gimmie. Anyway, our drama department at school is putting this show on this year in about a week. (By the way I play the role of Tevye. I'll let you research that on your own.) We had an eight hour practice today and four of it was technical practice...meaning I sat around for four hours as people argued over whether Act 1 Scene 7 should end in a blackout or a curtain call. Needless to say I got a little bored. Then I got a little creative...

For Roadside Assistance Call Me Back
We were driving back to my place...
And you asked to see some proof...either that or take you home.
(Just when we thought we were getting somewhere.)
All I could manage was a tighter grip on the wheel.
And when I think about how hard it was raining that night...
It's amazing that we're having this conversation...
...We are having this conversation...
(Right?)
Well...
I can't really say that I'm terribly happy that you've finally decided that when the red light goes on you can speak into the mic.

(We are soo on the air.)
And it's holding us like its children.

And as we rock......
we're feeling almost everything that they all told us
not to. We're in a sea where shame molds
(jlsdjfald) DROWNING(aaa;dfalfladsjfl)
men's faces til they're smile toothed.
But you can bet your best excuse that I'll blame this
one on the defroster.

So we're doing 85 while everyone does 60.
Our fellow travellers eye us like
certain convicts as we
move at what seems to be light speed.
(I think there's some serious discrepancy over how a safe pace really feels.)
...and all the while the consequences make us all look like pedestrians.
Oh My God!
Were we really a car wreck asking to happen?
I mean...
sure the road was wet...
and it was dark.
but.......we both know how many times I'd driven it...
In the r
a
i
n... at night?
But looking back- that's exactly how I see it all.
A hopeful guy at the wheel... and a carefl driver operating from a full seat over.
...
... We just hit 105.
I'm rolling down the window.
(Maybe the wind will make a cleaner cut.)
My eyes close.My hands leave the wheel.
( it never stabilizes.)
A smile spreads over my face like the rumor that put us here...
That was the loudest I have ever heard you scream...
Who am I kidding?
You'll Live.
Good Providence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so crazy...no? You were a magician last night. Excellent as always.

Anonymous said...

and the poem was good too. can't believe it has almost been 1 year since Crucible.wow. time flies.